There comes a point in every writing project when you believe you have finally conquered the manuscript. The chapters are in place, the formatting looks respectable, and the finish line is within sight.
Naturally, that is when Word decides to remind you who is really in charge.
For some reason unknownst to me, but knownst to Microsoft engineers, Word decided to show me every bit of revision markup imaginable. Every adjustment I have made in the last month. Red ink everywhere. It looks like my book tried to flee the Mob.
Apparently, every change I had made was now important enough to be permanently displayed for posterity. The ability to turn off markup in Word is harder to find than a cashier at a Dollar General Store.
I eventually figured out how to turn that off too.
Progress!
And so, after another brief confrontation with the world's most popular word processor, the manuscript is once again readable.
The red ink is gone. The book is no longer under investigation. Somewhere, a Microsoft engineer is probably smiling.
One more obstacle cleared. One more step toward publication.
At this rate, I may actually finish the book before Word invents another way to edit it for me.
Check out Volume 1 of my Sherlock Holmes Thematic Readers Edition here.

No comments:
Post a Comment